Re: [Groff] computer modern fonts in EQN with Tps?

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] computer modern fonts in EQN with Tps?
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:55:38 +0100

> I don't like the appearance of many mathematical characters
> in Times,

That's not actually a problem with Times, but rather with the
sub-standard Symbol font, whose only relation to Times is that
some of the characters have been made to look similar to those
in Times.

> such as int, sum etc.

Yes. Sum isn't so bad, but int is terrible even when scaled only a
little.  What you can do as a workaround, however, is to construct
the display-int from the top and bottom of the "extensible" integral,
like here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2007-02/pdfgmV54dXiYQ.pdf
Even though it's only a kind of makeshift solution (compared to
a custom-designed display integral), I've come to rather like it.
I think the Computer Modern integral sign is slanted way too much.

Also, you might take a look at the "txfonts" package for TeX.
It integrates very well with Times, and shouldn't be more effort
in setting up for groff than Computer Modern.

And then there's also Elsevier's freely available ESSTIX font
package, which is very nice and contains a large number of
mathematical symbols.  (I haven't experimented with this yet,
though.)