[Groff] File Locking

From: Robert Thorsby
Subject: [Groff] File Locking
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 19:45:32 +1100

I've finally started one of those rainy day projects. I'm rewriting my
Business Letterhead shell script.

It's progressed to the stage where, after I've written the draft
letter, the script opens the input file in the text editor du jour and
also opens the resulting postscript file in gv. Every time I hit "Save"
in the text editor the script automagically re-runs the input file
through groff and, of course, the "watch" switch in gv automagically
reloads the updated postscript file. The result is a sort of groff
version of WYSIWYG.

However, I don't know what would happen if I used the text editor
"Save" twice in quick succession. In other words what would happen if
my text editor is amending the input file on the "second" occasion at
the same time as groff is processing it as a result of the "first"
save?

Can anyone tell me what is likely to happen? I have no idea how to
create the problem deliberately.

TIA,
Robert Thorsby