Re: [Groff] Simplifying groff documentation

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Simplifying groff documentation
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 22:51:27 +0100 (CET)

> > I would claim it is. The groff manual pages also cannot be
> > displayed properly by other manual page viewers. There are
> > some glitches even with Heirloom troff; although it can handle
> > the language, some groff-specific macros do not exist in its
> > -man implementation.

groff-specific macros?  Please explain.

> > So I think this is worth fixing regardless of the specific case of
> > DocBook conversion. groff is by far not the only program which is
> > used to display the groff manual pages.

Well, does this mean that I should refrain from using any GNU
extensions in man pages?

> Because response on the list was supportive, I went ahead and
> stripped groff.1.  It's enclosed.  You may have trouble spotting the
> differences, which is sort of the idea.

Thanks, especially for fixing Germanisms.  As you've `promised', the
synopsis is *really* ugly.  In my eyes, it's horrible.

Before doing any hasty actions (this is, committing your changes to
the CVS) I would like to discuss this topic further.  So please stay
patient.  Additionally, the `groffer' stuff isn't maintained by me but
by Bernd, so we have to listen to him too.

    Werner

BTW, it would have been better to use the current CVS version, which
differs clearly in some parts.