Re: [Groff] Simplifying groff documentation

From: Zvezdan Petkovic
Subject: Re: [Groff] Simplifying groff documentation
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 21:06:05 -0500

On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 06:52:13AM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> I don't think your citation of -mdoc is really on point.  IMO, the
> reason it hasn't gained acceptance is that, while -mdoc markup is
> cleverly designed, it is also quite complex -- more heavyweight than
> most man-page writers want to deal with.

If you have to deal with it you do.
People writing man pages for BSD systems have no trouble with that
format.

However, this is an interesting observation in general.
If -mdoc was refused for the above reason, how accepted DocBook will be?

The same programmers who refused Ada embraced Java without seeing that
it has brought the same things that Ada offered long time ago without a
control of a single corporation over it.  Is it only the time when
something comes about that determines acceptance or not?

Of course, DocBook has many more advantages over -mdoc than Java over
Ada, so comparison is probably not fair.

Best regards,

        ZP