Re: [Groff] pdfroff broken?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] pdfroff broken?
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 19:09:29 +0100 (CET)

> >  grops:<standard input>:594: lines in X exec command must not be
>
> [...]  This isn't the cause of the overlong \X lines; the actual
> cause is that the .pdfmark macro emits the entire pdfmark code for
> each link in a single \X line, and that obscenely long URL exposes a
> limitation of this design.

Well, the limitation is hmm, old.  It serves only to enforce a
document structure which is fully compliant to the DSC.  I doubt that
there are still many printers which refuse PS files with lines longer
than 255 characters...

As a first measure I've replaced the errors in grops with warnings so
that overlong lines actually get included into the output.

> I guess the solution will be to adapt the .pdfmark implementation,
> such that it distributes its output over multiple \X lines.

Hopefully, you get something working.  On the other hand, it no longer
causes severe problems.

> Hmm.  I don't think it's possible to completely suppress execution
> of all commands; the intermediate files would at least need to be
> compiled, as they are used to control the multipass processing
> sequence.

If it makes too much trouble please simply forget it...