Fwd: [Groff] Re: groff + mp

From: Pedro A. López-Valencia
Subject: Fwd: [Groff] Re: groff + mp
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 07:11:22 -0500

On 2/21/06, Michail Vidiassov wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>
>> Michail Vidiassov wrote:

> >> BTW.  I think the latter support was broken netertheless.  Can you
> >> check?)
> >
> > I can't.  I don't have an old troff running.
>
> What is the real state of the troff land?
> What are the other players beyond groff?

There is two remaining versions of troff avaialble, afaik. Sun
Microsystems ships an incomplete troff based in licensed code from DWB
3.2; t doesn't include pic. There is another troff, the one in Plan9,
which has been ported to POSIX OSs as part of the "Plan 9 from User
Space" project (<http://swtch.com/plan9port/>). It is a derivative of
DWB 3.4 and it uses UTF-8 text representation internally. Although it
is a source distribution, still belongs to Lucent and uses a license
approved by the OSI. (Yet it is a pain in the neck to use.)