RE: [Groff] gs, gv

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] gs, gv
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 17:37:03 -0000 (GMT)

On 06-Nov-05 mikkel meinike wrote:
> Hallow agan
>
> I have now installed gs and the viewer gv on my BL3 system but when I
> try to see a ps file I can't do that I get an error messages
> gv alphabet.ps
>
> The xterm window display
> Warning: ... fund while parding '<key>apLineDel:
> GV_Page(page+5)
> Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset

I am not an expert on gs or gv, so probably can not help in detail.
However, one thing I do know is that gs and its fonts are often
two separate packages, and both need to be installed.

This message suggests that the ghostscript fonts were not installed.

Check the installation documentation for Slackware in PACKAGES.TXT,
and note in particular that:

  "If you need X11 support, you should also install the package
   'gs_x11' found on the XAP series.  It contains a /usr/bin/gs
   with support for X11."

This may resolve the problem you report below.

> The gv windows Oppens and this massages pups up
> Ghost Script Massages
> unknown device: x11
>
> So it looks like the problem is in the settings of gs. I found out
> that my ghost script that is from slackware4 as default sent the
> output to CLI svgalib.
> gs alphabet.ps
> from an X11 xterm does: Black screen some fast massages about svgalib
> and something about buss error and than fall back to X11 with
>
> svgalib: allocated virtual console #5

If installing gs_x11 (see above) does not solve it, then this looks
like a problem with the graphics library, svgalib in your case, or
in the interface with your hardware, or possibly a hardware problem
(incorrect settings of display parameters when setting up X11?).

Have you tried displaying files in other graphics formats (e.g.
JPEG [".jpg"] files, GIF [".gif"], etc.) in X? Does X itself start
well?

> How can I change the settings so it will use X11 and I assume the X11
> fonts, and so that gv can display my ps files? and also I have a very
> low screen 480x600 should I set a special resolution for this screen
> or will that work out automatically with the vga16 server
> /Mikkel
>
> /Mikkel

My best suggestion is that you should subscribe to a good Linux
list (if you are not already on one), and discuss your problem
in detail there.

Good luck!
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>