Re: [Groff] XML and groff as frontend

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey
Subject: Re: [Groff] XML and groff as frontend
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:02:10 +0300

Long-short syndrome.

On Saturday, 22 October 2005 at 14:56:35 -0600, Clarke Echols wrote:
> Larry Kollar wrote:
>>
> <snip>
>> I use structured FrameMaker at work to write documentation, and one
>> of the easier ways I've found to get text into it is to paste it
>> into Vim then pipe lines through scripts that wrap blocks of text
>> in tags (lists, sections, and so forth). I then import that into
>> Frame. It works very well, although the technique is probably
>> specific to the writer and the work involved.
>
> How about using vi/vim non-interactively inside a shell script
> (redirect keyboard input to vi/vim from a file), ...
> It's amazing what you can do with vi in a shell script!
>
> Can Emacs do that?

I'm pretty sure it can, but you wouldn't need the shell scripts.  I do
some pretty hairy things in Emacs, including modifying PostScript
output.

> Sorry, but I qualify as a bona fide vi bigot. :-)

Your preference.  I'm not a real Emacs bigot, but "it just works for
me".

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.