Re: [Groff] XML and groff as frontend

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] XML and groff as frontend
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 23:45:50 +0100 (BST)

On 22-Oct-05 Zvezdan Petkovic wrote:
[...]>
> That's also a nice example of how painful is writing in XML.
> You use a totally different tool (Vim) to help another tool that's
> supposedly made to help you with XML (FrameMaker).
>
> Also, sections and lists are the least of my issues with XML.
> Paragraphs like this one are the problem (quite frequent when writing
> about computing):
>
>       Use either <command>cp -a</command> or
>       <command>cp -Rdp</command> when copying, to preserve as much of
>       the original attributes of an application.
>       Then in <filename>rootfs/sbin</filename> make a
>       both <command>mkfs.ext2</command> and
>       <command>mkfs.ext3</command>.
>
> If you count the characters in markup elements, they'll come quite
> close to the number of characters in the real content of the
> paragraph. I did the markup after writing, because the number of
> interruptions of the thought process is mind-boggling otherwise.

Well, if you're using vim ...

First enter the following (in command mode) to define abbreviations:

:ab <c <command
:ab /c </command>
:ab <f <filename
:ab /f </filename>
:ab <e <emphasis
:ab /e </emphasis>

Then, in insert mode, enter:

Use either <c>cp -a/c or
<c>cp -Rdp/c when copying, to preserve as much of
the original attributes of an application.
Then in <f>rootfs/sbin/f make a
<e>hard/e link from <c>mke2fs/c to
both <c>mkfs.ext2/c and
<c>mkfs.ext3/c.

(which I did by copy&paste from another window which originally
contained your original above, edited into the above form by

:.,$s/<command>/<c/g

etc)

and vim automatically creates:

Use either <command>cp -a</coomand> or
<command>cp -Rdp</coomand> when copying, to preserve as much of
the original attributes of an application.
Then in <filename>rootfs/sbin</filename> make a
both <command>mkfs.ext2</coomand> and
<command>mkfs.ext3</coomand>.

[Sorry, just flaunting my favourite editer].

I agree totally about the interruption to thought, though, and
I don't think my trick would help much on that front (and in fact
setting it up was made easy by having the final form in front
of me; not so easy to do it "blind").

On the other hand, using simple groff macros for the font switches
doesn't cause me any problems at all .. I wonder why ...?

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861