Re: [Groff] conversion to DOC format

From: M Bianchi
Subject: Re: [Groff] conversion to DOC format
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:15:14 -0400

> From: Dean Allen Provins <address@hidden>
> Subject: [Groff] conversion to DOC format
>       :
> Many firms or government agencies require cover letters and resumes in
> Microsoft Word (i.e. .DOC) format.  Alas groff doesn't generate this ...

What I do is to create a PostScript (*.ps) formatted output and then use
 ps2pdf(1)  to create a Portable Document Format (PDF) file.  Simple shell
scripts that I have created perform the steps from groff input to *.ps to
*.pdf.  This has a number of advantages:
        Smaller than *.ps file.
        Probably smaller than equivalent *.doc file.
        Works well with acroread and xpdf(1).
        Not easily edited, especially by accident.
        Free from viruses and such.

All my customers take the attachments without comment.  I expect that most
places that want *.doc would take *.pdf files also.  I think it would
certainly be worth the try.

--
 Mike Bianchi
 Foveal Systems

 +1 973 822-2085        Voice; call to arrange Fax

 address@hidden

 Create videos of auditorium and classroom presentations without a crew?
                                 Yes!
 http://www.AutoAuditorium.com