Re: [Groff] Poor spacing in eqn terminal output

From: David Schmitt
Subject: Re: [Groff] Poor spacing in eqn terminal output
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 10:48:15 +0200

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 12:26:50AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > If it helps decide, here's AIX 3.2.5's output, i.e. troff not groff.
> >
> >     $ eqn <k | nroff | col -b | cat -S
> >                (                                        )
> >                |                 0            0         |
> >                |  ______  0                   0         |
> >                |  aspect  f      0       ____________   |
> >                |    0     0  __________   zNear-zFar    |
> >                |    0        zNear-zFar       0         |
> >                |    0     0      -1                     |
> >                (                                        )
>
> Well, this isn't correct either since the top of each fraction is
> missing.

.. and the rows are broken. eg the second row should read ( 0 f 0 0 ).

> I strongly suggest that the author of gluPerspective(3x)
> uses `.ie t \{...\} .el \{...\}' to provide a hand-tuned TTY version
> of the matrix if it is essential to the man page.

Even as a user, I wouldn't say, that it is essential for the man page.
One can use the gluPerspective() function without knowing the
mathematical background. But there are some special use cases, where one
needs deep matrix magic and where is the information then?

And why provide a facility which is broken to the point of being
not only unusable, but also producing dangerously misleading output?

Regards, David
--
  * Customer: "My palmtop won't turn on."
  * Tech Support: "Did the battery run out, maybe?"