Re: [Groff] Poor spacing in eqn terminal output

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Poor spacing in eqn terminal output
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 12:51:59 +0100

Hi Colin,

> The attached file, extracted from XFree86's gluPerspective(3x) man
> page, formats very poorly with 'groff -e -Tascii'; the rows of the
> matrix are far too widely spaced. I know very little about eqn,
> though. Can anyone tell me whether eqn, troff, or the man page is at
> fault?

Isn't groff's eqn meant to cope poorly with ASCII output?  If it helps
decide, here's AIX 3.2.5's output, i.e. troff not groff.

    $ eqn <k | nroff | col -b | cat -S
               (                                        )
               |                 0            0         |
               |  aspect  f      0       ____________   |
               |    0     0  __________   zNear-zFar    |
               |    0        zNear-zFar       0         |
               |    0     0      -1                     |

So it seems like it isn't the man page that's the problem.

Cheers,

Ralph.