Re: [Groff] Unix Man Pages

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Unix Man Pages
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:09:48 +0000

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 08:39:15PM +0000, John Poltorak wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 06:59:41PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > The other (which I maintain nowadays) is:
> >
> >   http://www.nongnu.org/man-db/
> >
> > The most onerous of its requirements will probably be Berkeley DB,
>
> Which version of Berkeley DB is required?

1.85, 2, or 3 will do.

> > I don't know about Andries Brouwer's man, but it would not surprise me
> > in the slightest if man-db had several Unix assumptions. Certainly I've
> > never heard any non-Unix people expressing an interest in it before. I'd
> > be willing to work with you (private mail, I guess) to iron out those
> > assumptions if you can bring me sufficiently up to speed with your
> > environment.
>
> I'm using OS/2 but have found that many, at least recently released, GNU
> apps cater very well to OS's which use DOS-like filesystems, ie. have
> drive letters, and use different pathseps(;), and dirseps(\) and
> executable exectensions of .EXE.  New versions of the GNU Build System
> allow apps such as GROFF to build on OS/2 straight out of the box without
> the need for applying any patches.

There are code assumptions which aren't solved simply by upgrading the
build system. Manual porting work will probably be required.

(Might want to take this to private mail if you start trying ... it's
getting a bit off-topic for this list.)

> Can this man-db be used automatically as part of a standard install of an
> app which creates man pages or is an additional step required?

man-db has nothing to do with applications that create man pages.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                  address@hidden