Re: [Groff] Unix Man Pages

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Unix Man Pages
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 03:04:21 +0000

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 07:12:16PM +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> > Is there a way I can stop the text from being hyphenated?
>
> troff's `no hyphenation' command is `.nh' so try inserting that before
> the troff source of the man page, e.g.
>
>     (echo .nh; cat /path/to/manpage.1) | nroff ...
>
> There's the possibility that something later in the troff source, e.g.
> the man macro package, will override it, but you get the idea.

It would be cool to have a switch / environment variable to groff that
would disable hyphenation permanently, actually; I'd love to be able to
have a switch for man(1) that could reliably render man pages
unhyphenated, without having to rely on pages not to fiddle with the
setting. (It seems not uncommon for man pages to bracket text with .nh
and .hy requests.)

  http://bugs.debian.org/166701

I could knock together an experimental patch if people would be
interested, I imagine ...

--
Colin Watson                                  address@hidden