Re: [Groff] UTP: Problems with latest macros

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP: Problems with latest macros
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 16:33:53 -0400

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 02:40:00PM -0500, Michael Hobgood wrote:
> Jon,
>       I just went back and reformatted all the chapters
> I did using the latest macros on Larrys' site.  I am
> getting some problems using them that I did not get
> with older versions.
>       One problem I've tracked down is with the
> .Ps/.Pe pair.  Before I could do something like this:
>
> .Ps
> $ \f[CB]ditroff \f[HBI]file\fP 2> \f[HBI]tocfile\fP
> .Pe
>
> and get ditroff & 2> in CB font, and get file & tocfile
> in HBI font, with the default for .Ps/.Pe returning to
> CW.  Now, it stays in CB.
>       This I can fix by going back and puting \fP
> where they are needed.

I don't understand this.  I haven't changed the Ps/Pe macros since I
first implemented them.  The Ps macro switches into a separate environment,
sets .ps, .vs, no fill mode, and changes the font to C.  The .Pe macro
pops the environment.  Could this be a problem/``enhancement'' with the
new groff?

>       Another problem I haven't tracked down concerns
> a message about unable to break line.  This is occuring in
> Chapter 15 under groff-1.17.2.  Chapter 15 works correctly
> under groff-1.17.2 and the older version macros that I used
> while marking things up.  The problem appears to be in the
> .Ps/.Pe pair also.  I'll see what I can come up with.

I typeset Ch 15 with 1.17.2 and the July 17 macros, and the main problem
I saw was that there were tabs in the definition of your .BS macro and
the default tab settings made the line too long.

Could you be more explicit about the problems you're seeing.  I just
downloaded Ch 15 from Larry's site, so I may not have the latest
version.  You can email it to me if you like, and I'll try to help
you figure out what the problem is.

Jon Snader