Re: [Groff] UTP: Problems with latest macros

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP: Problems with latest macros
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:05:04 +0200 (CEST)

> > Before I could do something like this:
> >
> > .Ps
> > $ \f[CB]ditroff \f[HBI]file\fP 2> \f[HBI]tocfile\fP
> > .Pe
> >
> > and get ditroff & 2> in CB font, and get file & tocfile
> > in HBI font, with the default for .Ps/.Pe returning to
> > CW.  Now, it stays in CB.
> >     This I can fix by going back and puting \fP
> > where they are needed.
>
> I don't understand this.  I haven't changed the Ps/Pe macros since I
> first implemented them.  The Ps macro switches into a separate
> environment, sets .ps, .vs, no fill mode, and changes the font to C.
> The .Pe macro pops the environment.  Could this be a
> problem/``enhancement'' with the new groff?

Maybe.  Can someone please investigate this further?  In case it is a
bug, I would like to have a small code fragment which shows the bug.

Note that this:

  .de xx
  Hallo!
  ..
  \fB.xx\fP

has been normalized if not in compatibility mode: now it prints `.xx'
in boldface and not `Hallo!'  (as AT&T troff does).  I don't know
whether this is related to the problem.

> >     Another problem I haven't tracked down concerns a message
> > about unable to break line.  This is occuring in Chapter 15 under
> > groff-1.17.2.  Chapter 15 works correctly under groff-1.17.2 and
> > the older version macros that I used while marking things up.  The
> > problem appears to be in the .Ps/.Pe pair also.  I'll see what I
> > can come up with.

This is a new warning message which can be suppressed by adding `-W
break'.  Usually, it indicates a serious typographic problem; in most
cases it is a single word filling a whole line which can't be aligned
because it's too long or too short.