Re: [Groff] UTP: Problems with latest macros

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP: Problems with latest macros
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 07:49:07 -0400

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 12:05:04PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > > Before I could do something like this:
> > >
> > > .Ps
> > > $ \f[CB]ditroff \f[HBI]file\fP 2> \f[HBI]tocfile\fP
> > > .Pe
> > >
> > > and get ditroff & 2> in CB font, and get file & tocfile
> > > in HBI font, with the default for .Ps/.Pe returning to
> > > CW.  Now, it stays in CB.
> > >   This I can fix by going back and puting \fP
> > > where they are needed.
> >
> > I don't understand this.  I haven't changed the Ps/Pe macros since I
> > first implemented them.  The Ps macro switches into a separate
> > environment, sets .ps, .vs, no fill mode, and changes the font to C.
> > The .Pe macro pops the environment.  Could this be a
> > problem/``enhancement'' with the new groff?
>
> Maybe.  Can someone please investigate this further?  In case it is a
> bug, I would like to have a small code fragment which shows the bug.

With the help of Michael I figured it out.  It turns out that I did
change the Ps/Pe macros slightly, but had forgotten.  The old version
used to set ps, vs, nf, and the font in the new environment each time
it was called.  In the newer version I just set up the environment once
at macro load time (it's the programmer in me--I can't help it).
Thus if a font change is made in the old version, it gets reset.  In the
new version, it stays with the environment.

Should I change it back to the old way?  Michael has already fixed his
markup, but changing back to the old way won't break that and may prevent
others from having the same problem.

Jon Snader