[Groff] UTP markup

From: Michael Hobgood
Subject: [Groff] UTP markup
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 23:31:43 -0500

A few questions concerning the markup of the UTP:

        1. How close to the original are we trying
to get? For example, do we correct typos that we
find (typos, not out of date material)?
        2. Do we want to keep the page contents
and the page numbers the same?  If so, what
are the dimensions used in the original?
        3. Given that the UTP macros don't produce
the exact same look in some areas as the original
(i.e Chapter etc), is it alright to forgo some of the
boxes drawn around the example outputs?
        4. Over the chapters I've worked with, I've
noticed several inconsistencies in the way the
original was formatted.  Do I attempt to match these
or just pick one style and go with it?  Some of the
ones I've noticed include: some example command lines
are bolded, others aren't, some of the material that
uses the .Ps/.Pe indentation in one place, won't have
it in another place.

I'll be marking up the chapters I've typed. So far,
I'm just using the utp macros as they are, and where
I know how to do something, putting in the original
effects as closely as I can.  However, I would prefer
to be doing it the same as everyone else.

KUDOS: John, the macros are great. Thanks for all
the hard work. Larry, thanks for heading up this
project and patiently answering all my questions.

Cordially
Michael Hobgood