Re: [Groff] [off] micro-typography

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] [off] micro-typography
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 09:35:53 -0000 (GMT)

As a technical detail on this question, I am wondering
how one can change the character which is typeset for
hyphenation on-the-fly.

The character which is printed at hyphenation is, well,
a hyphen ... it is the only case in basic usage where
what is printed is not explicitly represented by
something in the input stream.

Therefore the ".tr abcd..." mechanism will not work,
since (for all that it is described as "ouput translation")
this apparently only applies to characters encountered in
the input stream.

For this purpose, what I would like is that when
a hyphen "-" would be inserted in the output as
a result of automatic line-break, it is replaced
by say "-\h'-5p'" with the apparent width of "-"
being reduced by 5p for the purpose of computing
line length. And that this could be changed from
place to place within the document.

However, there are also other grounds for being
able to control what gets printed when hyphenation
occurs.

For instance, I have seen cases where the hyphen
("-") is replace by a centred dot. I have even seen
cases where not only is there a hyphen at the end of
the broken line but also a hyphen at the beginning of
the next line. Unusual practices, no doubt; but
if it's wanted it should be possible to do it.
The objective of groff, after all, is to get
marks onto paper as and where they're wanted.

So, first question: does anyone know if there's
a mechanism for getting one's hands on what groff
will print when hyphenation occurs? (Specifically,
changing the hyphen character into something else).

(Possible subsequent questions at possible later dates).

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972