RE: [Groff] [off] micro-typography

From: P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
Subject: RE: [Groff] [off] micro-typography
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 09:07:06 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden Behalf Of
Werner LEMBERG
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 5:26 PM
To: address@hidden
Cc: address@hidden

> Didn't think of that! This way it becomes almost trivial an
> exercise.  Forgive my blissful ignorance but do you imply that a
> groff font can contain more than 256 different characters?

Yes, cf. the devutf8 font files.

Ahh! Of course. My brain has already stopped working for this week. ;)

But you can't use devutf8 for "real" typesettting (notice the quotation
marks). If there were an expansion of the PS device that allowed it to use
utf8 encoded fonts (say CFF fonts in OpenType format)... I don't see a
reason to use hanging punctuation and hyphenation in a text file :)

Alejo
--
Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
http://dradul.tripod.com/