Re: [Groff] [off] micro-typography

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] [off] micro-typography
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 13:46:22 -0000 (GMT)

On 03-Feb-02 Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>> As a technical detail on this question, I am wondering how one can
>> change the character which is typeset for hyphenation on-the-fly.
>
> Use the .shc request.

Thanks, Werner; this works, on the lines of:
Say in /devps/TR, copy the line

  -       333,257 0       0055    hyphen

and change it to

  hy2     166,257 0       0055    hyphen

Then ".shc \[hy2]" will use a hyphen character which
pretends to have half the width, and therefore will
half hang out.

A pain, though, to have to change this in all font files!

Your other explanations are very plausible!

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972