Re: [Groff] groffview shell script

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] groffview shell script
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 00:22:19 +0100

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 10:32:36AM +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> > The idea behind this is that the X server usually checks the font
> > path at startup, all non-suitable directories are removed from the
> > font path variable.
>
> What X server is that?

All XFree86 servers, see X(1).  I use the vanilla nvidia mode.

> As said before, I'd put the most suitable font directories at the front
> of the path, but put worse quality ones in later for the fonts that
> only they contain.  So 75,100 might be possible.
>
> Why not either just hard-code 100 or do the check properly by looking
> for which directory is mentioned first?  Either is acceptable.  The
> middle ground seems the worst.

I take 100.  If, however, there isn't a 100 in the font path, but there is
a 75, then and only then I use the 75.  Moreover, I do not worry about
about xdpyinfo, nor about X -probeonly, or whatever.  100 is always good,
except if there aren't any 100 fonts.

> cat `man -aw groff`?

I'm using the `man -w' mechanism in groffview 0.2 to get the man-pages.

Bernd Warken