RE: Re: [Groff] Groff Textbook

From: Borawski, Thomas
Subject: RE: Re: [Groff] Groff Textbook
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:23:23 -0500

The HP book is OK.  We have it here at work with our HP-UX system.  I felt the
original Bell Labs documents covered the topic just as well.  My desire for a
text book is not a matter of "getting the information" but in having it in a convenient,
hardbound package.

Currently, I have two large 3-ring binders with all the Bell Labs Troff printouts.  I use
the M. E. Lesk 1978 quick guide as a "cheat sheet" (4 pages) for use in the field. I found
all these documents on Lucent's web site.  All were in pdf format.

I also think a textbook is a great way of supporting the project both financially (if FSF publishes it)
and in bringing in more users.

Three-ring binders are a pain.  A book is better.

If HP has stopped printing their manuals, they would make many friends if they released
them in PDF format as Lucent has done.  I have a feeling that the papers by Lesk, Ossanna,
Kernighan, Cherry will be useful for many years to come.