Re: [Groff] Groff Textbook

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] Groff Textbook
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 08:14:23 -0700

Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:

> HP used to have a very good (in my opinion) book on [nt]roff
> and related utilities, the "Text Formatting User's Guide".
>
> Clarke: What's the copyright status on this?

HP holds a copyright on all of their manuals.  However, the manual
in question (much of which I wrote) is no longer listed in the manual
page "manuals(5)", so I assume that they have eliminated it from the
market in their inimitable cost-savings campaign.  Given that, they
might be willing to give an authorization to use it by GNU, but I
don't know.

I suggest a note to address@hidden .  I've been gone for over
two years now, and with downsizing and layoffs, etc., I have no clue
as to whom one might contact directly.  My principal reason for leaving
was dissatisfaction with how certain individuals were running things
-- the same individuals who made the decisions about what to drop from
the list of manuals, and most of these individuals were not experts on
the subjects being dropped.

Clarke