Re: [Groff] Groff Textbook

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] Groff Textbook
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 19:03:27 +0100

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 10:11:12AM -0500, Borawski, Thomas wrote:
> Does anyone know of a troff + extensions textbook or manual ?

On groff, there isn't anything besides the info file, the man pages,
and the manuals in <groff_source>/doc.

> I have assembled my own "manual" out of the various Bell Labs reports, but
> a single hardcover text, with many examples, would be most useful.

groff provides many new features that make roff programming much simpler.
So a book on groff has to be very different from the classical troff
manual.  Moreover, groff actually seems to be in an evolving state (html
interface, colors, ...).  So actual groff manuals published under the
GNU copyleft license would be very helpful and much appreciated, but proprietary
documentation would be counter-productive.

> O'Reilly said they "used to" have a troff manual, but they "lost" the file.

A part of this was integrated into their book on text processing (no more
available since many years).  Anyway, anything they might have written is
now outdated.

Bernd Warken