[Groff] Making groff easier for polish users...

From: Piotr Trojanek
Subject: [Groff] Making groff easier for polish users...
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 21:38:45 +0200 (CEST)

Hi. I'm trying to make groff available for users from Poland -- just like
me. I hope there is somebody, who has experience in porting *roff to
natives language, and thus can help me.

My idea consists of following parts:
(1) - convert TeX hyphenation patterns and exceptions to two separate
files, with translating TeX's way of diacritical characters notation into
single characters from iso8859-2, which are normally displayed with
iso8859-2 font, also using .hcode to set codes for capital characters
(2) - make use of fonts available with newer versions of Ghostscript, which
include full subset of polish characters, like "aogonek", etc.:
(2a) - tune kerning pairs from afm-file with rule:
        KPX a X-character -> KPX "aogonek" X-character,
(2b) - tune ligatures (they are not mentioned in afm-files, but they are
        there!).

I know that steps (2.) are specific to grops, but this is what interests me
at the most.
To make use of all generated files, I want to make additional device, for
example "devpl", similar to "devps" (fonts, postscript encoding) , and
tmac.pl file, which would load polish hyphenation specific requests.

I made all mentioned files with awk/sed scripts. It works quite well from
my point of view, but I'm relatively new to groff, and don't know -- is
there any more better and more general way to nationalize groff.

If you can help me with any suggestions or maybe testing (polish members
of this group), please do so.