[Groff] Printing to Epson dot matrix

From: Marty Lucich
Subject: [Groff] Printing to Epson dot matrix
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 12:59:16 -0700

Greetings and sorry if this is a FAQ.

I have just started learning troff/groff because I noticed that it was
originally developed to print on something called a CAT phototypesetter
that had just a few fonts.  I thought it would be a good fit for my
relatively simple needs.  I have an Epson EX-1000 dot matrix printer.
This printer has draft, roman, and sans serif fonts.  It does
superscript/subscript, condensed, pica, and elite printing; monospaced
or proportional.

It isn't clear to me how to get troff or groff to output the proper
codes to make the Epson change fonts, or do bold, underlined, or
italics.  Can someone please give me any pointers?

Thanks

-m