[Groff] Page header angst

From: Deirdre Saoirse Moen
Subject: [Groff] Page header angst
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 23:52:01 -0700

Hi, I'm relatively new to groff, but trying to learn it well enough to set up some templates for my needs.

I'm a fiction writer, Some people want mss formatted one way, some another. My idea was to use groff to set these up so that I can have one canonical mss format (just the body of the text), have a database of metainformation and a script (probably python) to say "generate this manuscript in this format and print the sucker."

I've been using the ms macros, which have been fine except for one thing I can't figure out how to do: change the flipping page header. On the second and subsequent pages, I get the -2- but I need to change that. Standard mss format has Author/Title on the left, nothing in the center, and page number on the right for pages 2 on.

Overriding the .np macro didn't do anything, and everything else I've tried hasn't helped. Am I really missing something that obvious?

Here's my last attempt:

.de NP
.tl 'Saoirse Moen/Title''%'
.sp
..

Thus far, my command line has been:

groff -ms -Tps troff-test.txt > troff-test.ps

For another non-page-header issue, as my body style is:
.de BD
.ne 2
.ad l0
.fi
.ls 2
..

This means that any blank line between paragraphs is echoed, but if I don't leave one, it's wrapped. Meaning I get no space (except for the tab) or an extra line between paragraphs.

Other than putting .BD on each line between paragraphs (messy, as it makes plain text viewing of the writing more awkward), is there any way to suppress the extra line? If not, I can change the '\n\n\t' to '\n.BD\n\t' in the python script prior to running it through groff.
--
_Deirdre      rm -rf /bin/laden      http://deirdre.net