Re: [Groff] Page header angst

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Page header angst
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 21:58:12 -0400

Deirdre Saoirse Moen <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm a fiction writer, Some people want mss formatted one way, some
> another. My idea was to use groff to set these up so that I can have
> one canonical mss format ...
>
> I've been using the ms macros, which have been fine except for one
> thing I can't figure out how to do: change the flipping page header.
> On the second and subsequent pages, I get the -2- but I need to
> change that. Standard mss format has Author/Title on the left,
> nothing in the center, and page number on the right for pages 2 on.

Try this:

        .OH 'Author/Title''%'
        .EH 'Author/Title''%'
        .EF ''''
        .OF ''''

The .EH and .OH macros set the even header & odd header, respectively.
The .EF and .OF macros do the same for the footers.

The string you input consists of the left, center, and right sides of
the header or footer, separated by apostrophes or any character you're
not using otherwise. (So if the title of your story is "Joe's Grill,"
you could use something like .OH |Joe's Grill||%| replacing the ticks
with pipe characters.)  The "%" character represents the page number.

I wrote a short (15 page) -ms manual earlier this year; if you're
interested, it's at   http://www.alltel.net/~kollar/ms.ms.gz

        Larry