Re: [Groff] underlining in nroff

From: Mark Nudelman
Subject: Re: [Groff] underlining in nroff
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 17:53:41 -0800

I'm sorry, I'm confused.  The screenshot you sent me seems to show exactly
what I would expect (except for the overstruck tabs, which I agree is a
bug).  In the "Spaces between words" part, the first line is displayed
completely in underline mode.  In particular, the spaces between the words
are in underline mode.  What did you mean when you said you get different
results?  In the "Underscores between words" part, the underscores are not
displayed in underline mode, but (probably) in bold mode.  Actually, as the
last screenshot shows, the bold underline looks nearly identical to the
normal underline, so it's hard to tell.

To clarify things, you can try this.  Set these environment variables to
printable strings like this:
 setenv LESS_TERMCAP_us '<U>'
 setenv LESS_TERMCAP_ue '</U>'
 setenv LESS_TERMCAP_md '<B>'
 setenv LESS_TERMCAP_me '</B>'
This will cause less to output these HTML-like strings instead of the escape
sequences it would normally use to enable and disable underline and bold
modes.  Then if you less your file, it will be easier to see exactly what
modes
are being used.
--Mark