Re: [Groff] underlining in nroff

From: Larry Jones
Subject: Re: [Groff] underlining in nroff
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 10:57:08 -0500 (EST)

Werner LEMBERG writes:

> At least `less' makes a difference between an underlined space and an
> underscore (which can't be underlined in `less' at all), so this
> doesn't work.

So it does.  I'd call that a bug in less -- printing a space on top of
an underscore shouldn't change the visual appearance of the underscore.
(Although one of the reasons I suggested using \(ul rather than _ is so
that you *could*, at least in theory, have an underlined underscore.)

> After checking the source code of grotty, I believe it is the cleanest
> thing to ad a `x ...' command.

That's certainly another viable solution.

-Larry Jones

These things just seem to happen. -- Calvin