Re: [Groff] Hello to you all ! a digression...

From: Thomas Baruchel
Subject: Re: [Groff] Hello to you all ! a digression...
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 12:30:16 +0200

On Sun, Oct 08, 2000 at 01:36:08PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > > Which characters (or rather, glyphs)?  Example, please.
> >
> > Actually, I've got a problem with four: char177 (which should be
> > aogonek but displays as plusminus [+-]), char179 (lslash, displaying
> > as 3-superscript or power 3), char188 (zslash, displays as 1/4 or
> > onequarter) and char166 (Sslash, displaying as vertical bar or '|').
> >
> > These chars are standard Latin-2 encoded polish characters.
>
> In case you are trying to use Latin-2 as an input character set you
> will have some difficulties currently since Latin-1 is hard-coded into
> groff (I'll try to change this in the near future)...
>
> Or are you using a patched groff with Latin-2 support?

Brest, le dimanche 8 octobre

No real relation with the current subject... sorry :-(
(still a little ;-)

I just bought a (french) book about (french) ponctuation: history, usage, etc.
Very interesting, but... it is told about characters
> > > (or rather, glyphs)?
that people used centuries ago but which have today disappeared. Does someone
know what is for instance a fly-foot (in french: "pied-de-mouche" where "mouche"
which I have translated by "fly" is the little insect). It was used to mark a
separation between twn paragraphs when copists didn't have enoug place on their
page to write a real paragraph. Is their an URL where I could see images of the
old punctuation characters ?

Sorry to have disturbed the list :-(

--
   .~.   Thomas Baruchel