RE: [Groff] Training site.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: RE: [Groff] Training site.
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 06:21:26 GMT

> BTW, my dad served in the US Army 20 years.  We were stationed in
> Hanau and Frankfurt.  I don't remember hardly anything of Hanau, but
> I was in 2nd and 3rd grade in Frankfurt.  1962-3.  Loved it.  We
> took a few siteseeing trips, too.  Castles and things.  The Rhine.
> Near Bergesgarten, I believe, was this house all full of rooms with
> animated model scenery, etc. of all kinds.  Fairy tale scenes,
> holiday scenes, country scenes.  Wonderful.

Well, I'm Austrian.  This is even more beautiful :-)

> Please, set up the account. Telnet, ftp, http.  And a public_html
> directory for you-all to review/test site drafts from before
> "publishing" to groff.ffii.org.

Can someone from polis@ comment this, please?  How can we set up
test pages?  And may I ask to give him an account so that he can
access the groff related HTML stuff?

> Who would actually publish? Would I be doing that? (I assume so.)

Exactly.

> Furthermore, it occurs to me, you will always have a binary of the
> current groff-current on that machine, right?  So I can just use
> that, to test it.

No, we haven't.  But it is possible to do so if you wish.
Nevertheless, I doubt that it very useful (expect that you plan to
integrate a lot of dynamic stuff into the HTML pages).

> I'll use m4 to start with, then port the site to groff as it
> stabilizes.  Should be straightforward.  I have 2 or 3 m4 html macro
> packages to work with, and several examples.  Headers, footers,
> button bars...

You mean writing HTML pages with groff?  Then I suggest you contact
Gaius directly so that he knows what you need.