RE: [Groff] Training site.

From: Eddie Maddox
Subject: RE: [Groff] Training site.
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:31:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> Please do so!  Note that we haven't had time yet to create a real home
> page for groff (any volunteers welcome!), so the ftp address pointing

I, uh, um, volunteer! Let me check some things first. The idea of hosting
the groff site does appeal to me.

If all works out, I have this in mind:

- The site would be under a GNU license.

- The site style would be similar to, or copy, the GNU style guide.

- Of course, it should be a practical example of applying the new groff
features.

- Deb Richardson's LinuxChix Rules, Be Polite and Be Helpful, will lead
and guide us along our way. Otherwise, there's mine: Be Nice. (I like one
liners.) Take your pick. Voting season is hereby declared _open_. My
short, sweet, terse-is-beautiful Be Nice, Or Deb's long winded
explanation Be Polite & Be Helpful. Cast your vote now!

- Mailman for mailing lists. It's GNU now, too.

- If alllllll else fails, it will at least be a _big_ learning experience
for me. I've not done a decent web site before, but have been working on
starting one.

http://mngovsci.com

Not much there at the moment. I'll have several topic/project areas
involving training and analysis. I see infrastructure as very important to
the training and thinking process in how we govern our affairs in this
world. To that end I pick XML/Docbook/HTML with Python/m4/groff. For OS I
pick Debian for their killer support of SGML, XML, Docbook, HTML... All
the stuff a serious change maker could ever want.

So, groff would fit in nicely. At least, I'ld like to see what I can cook
up the next few days. Your input, etc. all appreciated.

Also:
- When is next release planned? I know it's pretty soon.
- Can someone provide a .deb package I can download of any betas? RPM if
necessary. I386. Goodness, just a working binary would do. Do _not_ show
me the source. My coding days are history.

Eddie Maddox
address@hidden