gpsd-users

Re: Recommendation for GPS dongle

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Recommendation for GPS dongle
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 13:17:43 -0800

Yo Chris!

On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 13:05:42 -0800
Chris Kuethe <chris.kuethe@gmail.com> wrote:

> It doesn't need to be using a 3rd party converter. You're right to say
> that it has no "speed" because it's an ACM device; by the same logic
> if you're using some terrible software that demands you enter a speed,
> plug in "115200" and be on your merry way. I just plugged in a ublox7
> and minicom produces the exact same output at 115200 or 9600. GPSD
> does too.

Yup.  No "speed".  Native serial packets.  At least from the M8030, and
similar, that have native USB ports.

> Maybe they figure that trying to transport PPS over a shared, polled,
> variably loaded bus like USB is bogus and if you're doing that you
> don't actually care about timing precision?

The few people I've talked to at other manufacturers said that PPS just
led to tech support confusion.

> Alas, my one contact at
> u-blox no longer works there otherwise I'd ask them why. I see you've
> also attempted to inquire on the forums...

The u-blox forums have proven useless.  No u-blox people go there, so
it is the blind leading the blind.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588