gpsd-users

Re: Recommendation for GPS dongle

From: Chris Kuethe
Subject: Re: Recommendation for GPS dongle
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 10:57:09 -0800

Since it's just for fun, you could DIY this with no soldering
required. Amazon has adequate bits in stock:
$11 ublox gps module with both usb and ttl output
$5 for a usb-serial module that exposes all the control lines
$8 for a usb-c cable
$5 for some dupont breadboard jumper cables

I didn't shop carefully, but what I was looking for included "gps pps"
and "usb serial module", then checked the product listings to confirm
that the 1PPS line was available on the GPS module, and that at least
some control lines were available (unlike a cheap usb serial cable
which only has vcc, gnd, tx, rx). DCD, DTR, or RI are often used for
1PPS input.

HTH
-C