gpsd-users

Re: GPSD - NTRIP Client

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: GPSD - NTRIP Client
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 12:43:37 -0800

Yo Greg!

On Thu, 09 Jan 2020 15:35:41 -0500
Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

> As you probably know, the RTCM specs are not freely available and very
> expensive.

Yeah.

> gpsd has parsers for some of the rtcm2 and rtcm3 messages.  There are
> some messages for which it doesn't have parsers; I've seen some fail
> to decode when using MaCORS (run by the Massachusetts Department of
> Transportation).   Help in writing decoders would be appreciated.

Yeah.

> I believe that gpsd just pipes the bitstream to the F9P, without being
> upset that it can't decode all the messages.

Yeah.

> In particular MSM is a
> newish message and it wouldn't surprise me if that isn't supported.

Several MSM: MSM4, MSM5, MSM7.  One of each for each constellation.

> (I have been using MaCORS, and trying various stream types, both with
> RTCM2 for regular differential and with various RTCM3 on an Emlid
> Reach, which is basically an Intel Edison (x86) with an M8T and
> RTKLIB.)

I have been using ORGN (Oregon network similar to CORS), with my M8T.
The results are underwhelming.  It smooths out the short term (1 minute)
jitter, but not the medium term (1 hour) jitter.

> > gpsd:ERROR: ntrip stream connect error -2 in req probe
>
> I should have said - read the source code and find this message and
> see what it's doing.

And/or turn the debugging WAY up.  Plus the tcpdump, as previously
mentioned by Greg.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588