gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] any utility which convert gpsd into NMEA for stubborn s

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] any utility which convert gpsd into NMEA for stubborn software?
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 13:14:25 -0700

Yo Svenn!

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 21:46:00 +0200
Svenn Are Bjerkem <address@hidden> wrote:

> using gpsd red-hot from gitlab with my ZED-F9P ardusimple rtk setup.
> Base and rover talk RTCM through radio, so that is not issue here.

Normal configuration.

> I have configured the rover to spit out 10Hz solutions because I am
> going to drive fast.

Except those are averaged solutions, so not as useful as you hope.

> That is waaaay to much NMEA coming our way, so I
> thought about using gpsd to listen to the ubx from the GPS, and have
> the coordinate translated into some kind of NMEA sentence and send to
> the software. Does gpsd framework come with a json to NMEA converter
> in some magic utility?

Yup.  The gpsd tells the client if he wants pseudo-NMEA or binary.

One easy way:
        gpspipe -r

Just be careful.  Only gpsd in git head supports the ZED series.

> Or, has anybody written such a translator?

Many people.

> I am not fluent in NMEA,
> so I even don't know if it is possible to just reduce a native NMEA
> stream at 10 Hz to just a few sentences containing the coordinates
> and the solution accuracy.

You just described the gpsd JSON output.  You can see it this way:
        gpspipe -w

> The app is running on android and gets its position by one of these
> bluetoothGPS apps, and the NMEA is needed to satisfy these "external
> GPS" thingies.

A. Serbinski just ported gpsd to AOSP.  The source is in gpsd git
head.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588