gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Using "gpsctl -x" while gpsd is running

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Using "gpsctl -x" while gpsd is running
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 11:09:32 -0700

Yo Joshua!

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 22:27:08 -0400
"Joshua Quesenberry" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Based on testing I'm thinking gpsd is NOT sending out an initial
> configuration.

This depends on how your gpsd was compiled, and how you started it.

> If I change the receiver settings and then start gpsd
> the settings seem to remain.

This depends on a lot of things.  gpsd never changes the port speed.
It also varies a lot by what GPS you have.  Depending on what GPS is
detected by gpsd a lot or no configuration chages are sent to the GPS.

> I am having an issue of config retention
> after I power reset, but that appears to be related to the fact the
> particular receiver being used does not have FLASH storage for the
> configuration.

Nothing gpsd can do if your GPS loses config on reset.

Just code up a script to set your GPS the way you want it before
starting spd.

> At this point, being able to send commands using gpsctl through gpsd
> would be really nice

gpsctl can do that.

> OR gpsd sending a list of user-defined commands
> on start,

Some people patch there gpsd to do this.

Most common is a user script to configure the GPS and then start
gpsd.

If you tell us what GPS you have, and what setup you want to change then
we can give more specific guidance.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588