gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd WATCH_RAW

From: Roger Oberholtzer
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd WATCH_RAW
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 12:08:53 +0000

>> Roger Oberholtzer <address@hidden>:
>> Why would gps_data() return some JSON headers at the start?

> Eric S. Raymond address@hidden wrote:
> So your client program can see them and parse them - in order, for
> example, to know if the major version of the protocol has been bumped,
> so it can warn the user that it might not be able to parse the rest of
> the output properly.

OK. But then the data stream is not truly RAW in that those strings do not
originate in the receiver, as do all the NMEA strings. And the version numbers
reported are not of the GPS receiver (i.e., the source of the NMEA strings). No
matter. I can skip them. I was mainly curious if they were expected.

What about the mysterious second and third line? I see that these two lines
came in a single call to gps_read/gps_data. It seems that the bit after the ^M
(printed in the third line) is incomplete. Or am I looking at this wrong?

Roger Oberholtzer

Ramböll RST

Office: +46 (0)10-615 6020
Mobile: +46 (0)70-815 1696