gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] heading info ?

From: Jon Schlueter
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] heading info ?
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 03:25:35 -0500

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 2:37 AM, Niall Parker <address@hidden> wrote:
On 14-01-05 05:23 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Niall Parker <address@hidden>:
I'd like to access the magnetic heading information from the
fluxgate compass in my Oregon 450 but it isn't clear to me whether
this is possible via gpsd.

OK, looks like I may need to find another gps that definitely outputs it first. I didn't realize my requirements were that esoteric, maybe I'm approaching it the wrong way and there is something simple already out there.

You might try a digital compass if you are looking for magnetic heading information specifically:

http://www.tntc.com/Products/Datasheet.htm

This is one I have used in the past and it was pretty simple to get GPSD to recognize and send out messages for it's data.  But there are others out there that are similar type products.

Jon