gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] heading info ?

From: Niall Parker
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] heading info ?
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 23:33:32 -0800

On 14-01-05 05:05 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
Niall Parker <address@hidden> writes:

I'd like to access the magnetic heading information from the fluxgate
compass in my Oregon 450 but it isn't clear to me whether this is
possible via gpsd. I saw one reference in the email archive about
getting it from gpsdecode but I missed the details. It also doesn't
look like the API includes heading (in contrast to course derived from
position fixes). $HCHDG is a possible NMEA output string, is this
handled by gpsd anywhere (for any device ?)
I haven't seen anything that makes me think it's available, but I
haven't really looked into it.   I suppose you could capture the raw
NMEA output from the receiver for a few minutes and look at and
understand all the sentences.   Have you done that?
I didn't see it in there (only $GPGGA, $GPGSA, $GPGSV, $GPGSV, $GPRMC, $GPZDA) but I don't know if this is all that is available or just the default output (or is this configured by gpsd on initialization ?) ... previously with a GPS18 I could adjust the output strings via the serial port but minicom doesn't seem to see anything on the ttyUSB0 port.

DIgging further looks like I need to understand gpsctl, trying to switch to NMEA mode gives "error, multiple subscribers" ... even though no apps are talking to gpsd (that I'm aware of, running Ubuntu 12.04, maybe something is there already ?)

Garmin tech "support" indicates the HCHDG sentence is not available from the Oregon but they haven't responded with any models that do yet (googling points to etrex summit, vista and 76s, all pretty old devices ... maybe find one on ebay)

More work to do ...

                 ... Niall