gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] heading info ?

From: Niall Parker
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] heading info ?
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 23:37:49 -0800

On 14-01-05 05:23 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Niall Parker <address@hidden>:
I'd like to access the magnetic heading information from the
fluxgate compass in my Oregon 450 but it isn't clear to me whether
this is possible via gpsd.
Currently not.

                  I saw one reference in the email archive
about getting it from gpsdecode but I missed the details. It also
doesn't look like the API includes heading (in contrast to course
derived from position fixes).
It's in struct attitude in gps.h.

                        $HCHDG is a possible NMEA output
string, is this handled by gpsd anywhere (for any device ?)
No, but it would be pretty trivial to add.  Please follow the
FAQ directions for sending in an annotated output sample.
OK, looks like I may need to find another gps that definitely outputs it first. I didn't realize my requirements were that esoteric, maybe I'm approaching it the wrong way and there is something simple already out there.

Thanks for the info.

                    ... Niall