gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD AIS Raspberry Pi

From: F Hillhouse Jr
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD AIS Raspberry Pi
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 13:30:22 -0500

> F Hillhouse Jr <address@hidden>:
> > I stumbled upon GPSD and it looks like it will work with AIS but
> > exactly how I am currently stumped.
> > Will GPSD only accept data from an AIS receiver or will it
> also take
> > data from, let's say, a USB soundcard connected to a receiver?
>
> GPSD needs AIVDM data from an AIS receiver, devered over an
> RS232 or USB port.
>
> > Is anyone working on a project like this?
>
> You probably want this: http://gnuais.sourceforge.net/
> --

Thanks for your response!

I kept reading and pretty much came to the conclusion that GPSD needed AIVDM
data.

I had looked at gnuais. It seems to need gnuradio first. While it is a
really powerful application, the Raspberry Pi is apparently not the place to
try and run it. As a Linux/RPi noob, I may be incorrect so please don't take
my understanding as fact.

In closing just in case someone else is attempting a similar path, my
current research has led me to aishub and their aisdecoder for Linux.
Together with RTL_FM I believe I have almost all of the solution I am
looking for.

http://forum.aishub.net/ais-decoder/ais-decoder-beta-release/new/

Thanks for your efforts!

Best regards,