gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] GPSD AIS Raspberry Pi

From: F Hillhouse Jr
Subject: [gpsd-users] GPSD AIS Raspberry Pi
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 17:22:56 -0500

Greetings,

New guy here. I am just starting to look at the documentation. I see
references to AIS.

First off, I am using a Raspberry Pi with an RTL2832 to receive ADS-B so I
am looking to do something similar with a second Raspberry Pi but for AIS.

I stumbled upon GPSD and it looks like it will work with AIS but exactly how
I am currently stumped.
Will GPSD only accept data from an AIS receiver or will it also take data
from, let's say, a USB soundcard connected to a receiver?

Is anyone working on a project like this?

The Raspberry Pi is my only Linux OS machine. Also, I am not a programmer
although I have hacked a few things into submission after much trial and
error, mostly with VB5.

I live out of range of the coast but do visit on occasion. My interest is in
a small portable unit that can connect to my netbook for displaying   AIS
objects on a map.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Fred N7FMH