gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Leap second has arrived but GPS not updated?

From: Alexander Carver
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Leap second has arrived but GPS not updated?
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 23:48:47 -0700

On 6/30/2012 22:05, Alexander Carver wrote:
On 6/30/2012 21:17, Tomalak Geret'kal wrote:

I'd leave it alone for a few hours and see whether the situation
improves on its own.
In the meantime, adding 1s to the fudge value in your ntpd config may
prove a valid workaround.

Good point, I forgot that the fudge value can take almost any value at
all.  I went ahead and fudged the extra second in.  I'll just have to
let it sit and maybe see if it comes back with a proper time.  That just
means I have to manually intervene every time a leap second is adjusted.
  Granted that's not very often but it's unfortunate if the GPS receiver
really is broken with respect to the leap second.  The time reported by
gpsd will always be off if that's the case (until I replace the receiver).

So, almost seven hours after the fact, the offset finally updates.

But here's the weird thing: The time reported by gpsd to ntpd didn't change after the update. I have the offset fudged in the config for ntpd (the extra second). When the real offset appeared on the receiver, my reported offset should have been wrong but it's not, it's showing it's only different by about 30 milliseconds instead of a full second again.

I did restart gpsd but that didn't change anything, it's still reporting a "wrong" time to ntpd.

I may just have to restart everything.