gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] location lookup

From: Yan Seiner
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] location lookup
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 13:01:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, March 20, 2012 12:46 pm, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> Yo Yan!

> Just download the flat file from the link I gave you.
>
> http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/download_data.htm
>
> It has lat/lons and place names.  Just search the file for the nearest
> lat/lon and take the associated place name.  Place names are tagged by
> type (city, mountain, etc.) so you can limit your search to just cities.

Any suggestions on how to do the search?  "nearest" is kind of hard to
figure out without doing a radius calc....  I'm not sure how to set up the
database and index it so as to minimize the computational effort in
finding the nearest point.

(Storage is not a problem - I have a hard drive attached. cpu and ram are
limited.  I have a 260 MHz CPU and 32 MB of ram.)

> I would be tempted to blow the flat file into an sqlite DB for fast
> searches.

Once I figure out what I'm doing, that may be a possibility.

--
On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into
the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not