gpsd-dev

Re: news-to-me sparkfun product and reciever

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: news-to-me sparkfun product and reciever
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 16:47:15 -0700

Yo Greg!

On Sun, 05 May 2024 19:38:58 -0400
Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> wrote:

> "Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:
>
> >> also more conventionally (F9P in a box, POE powered, coax and
> >> antenna):
> >>
> >> https://www.sparkfun.com/products/22429
> >
> > Only $700....
> >
> > I don't see why so expensive.  The specs are not better than the
> > ALLYSTAR.  OTOH, the ALLYSTAR documentation is insufficient to
> > fully  use their part.
>
> So the ALLYSTAR is not acceptable then.

Sadly so.  ALLYSTAR made noise about getting answers, but then stopped
talking.  I epxect they lost their engineers during COVID.  Nothing
dated after 2020.

> As for $700, I'm not sparkfun, but this is not just F9P, but nice box,
> ESP, wifi antenna, coax to antenna, triband antenna, charger and
> cables. Plus firmware support.

If you want a fixed RTK base station, then $700 is fair.  But that
is a rare use ase.  Most people doing base/rover need both to be
mobile.

> The firmware support is key.  They actually respond to bug reports and
> fix things, plus it's open source.

I assume the base station is FOSS, not the Unicore GNSS chip.

I'll keep my eye out for a cheal Unicore module now that you pointed to
the doc.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588