gpsd-dev

Re: news-to-me sparkfun product and reciever

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: news-to-me sparkfun product and reciever
Date: Sun, 05 May 2024 19:38:58 -0400

"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:

>> also more conventionally (F9P in a box, POE powered, coax and
>> antenna):
>>
>> https://www.sparkfun.com/products/22429
>
> Only $700....
>
> I don't see why so expensive.  The specs are not better than the
> ALLYSTAR.  OTOH, the ALLYSTAR documentation is insufficient to
> fully  use their part.

So the ALLYSTAR is not acceptable then.

As for $700, I'm not sparkfun, but this is not just F9P, but nice box,
ESP, wifi antenna, coax to antenna, triband antenna, charger and cables.
Plus firmware support.

Yes you can get parts and make your own box.  But it's not so crazy if
you just want to buy something mostly usable.  I bet the markup over the
parts cost is less than 2x.

The firmware support is key.  They actually respond to bug reports and
fix things, plus it's open source.