gpaint-develop

Re: [Gpaint-develop] gnome-1 branch check-in

From: Michael Meffie
Subject: Re: [Gpaint-develop] gnome-1 branch check-in
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:34:40 -0500

Andy Tai <address@hidden> wrote:

> Michael, would you like to make a new release from the
> gnome-1 branch?

Yes, I think it is ready as a testing release. I have been
testing with it, but it would be good to have some more people
testing.

> It  now has a much better infrastructure than the past releases.

That is very kind, but the jury is still out on that point. :)

> I no longer have a GNOME 1 system so I cannot really run the gnome
> 1 version. If you want you can make a tar ball (and
> give it a version number like 0.3), update the README
> files, etc. and put yourself as the primary author and
> I can put the tarball on GNU's ftp site.

I really don't know what we should do about the version number.
The gnome-1 branch will eventually go away, so I don't think
we want to make it version 0.3.  It is based on the 0.2.2 code,
but 0.2.3 is the gnome-2 release.  And I would think version 0.3
should follow the 0.2.3 gnome-2 branch.

> I would try to update the GNOME 2 branch with the new
> code, and if you use GNOME 2 now you are welcome to do
> that as well.

I can build both versions now (which is why I changed over
to Debian).  I suggest we create a separate branch of the
gnome-2 development. One for possible bug fixes to 0.2.3
and a development branch for the future gnome-2 with the
new infrastructure.  I can add the new modules fairly
quickly, and then we can start concentrating on new features,
like the much needed undo feature.

Mike --